Monday 21 June 2010

Encouragement, of a sort

A long and interest call yesterday with my brilliant friend Bruce Clark, a senior journalist at The Economist and man of prodigious intelligence.

I mentioned my PhD plans to him and after a little discussion, he said that he tended to be wary of people in their late middle age deciding to do a PhD.  He gave me an example of one project he felt sure was doomed to flounder, and then with his customary courtesy he assured me that he thought mine was a different type of PhD project.  I certainly think it is, because it's practical, research-based and pretty concrete.

Talking with my piano teacher Sophie Yates about it today, her first response was a wholehearted "that's very interesting".

For me at this point the issues are less about whether the project is of any practical value and application - it certainly would be - but rather about how much I can muster and master the necessary knowledge to pull it all together coherently.

No comments:

Post a Comment